Friday, May 14, 2010

This might be good for me...

I thought that this whole nutritious dinner kick would kill the progress I've made on my mission to become a better cook. This year has seen huge improvements to my menu design, knife work, and meals in general, and I don't want to lose that. Yet, the informality of "health" food prep has given me freedom in the kitchen. I'm not so tied to the recipes, for one thing. I've cooked hippy food for most of my life, and it's pretty easy. Now, I don't even know for sure what's for dinner, I just go into the kitchen, start juggling ingredients, and see what happens. It's liberation, in a way. I must admit, my body likes the absence of tons of cream, meat and butter, but I yearn for custards, tarts, roast beef and sugar. We'll see how long this lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment