Tuesday, May 25, 2010

entre nous

Between us, I think that cooking is the ultimate alchemy. You take a puny seed, give it water, earth and light, and it becomes a plant. You take the plant, give it water, salt, and fire, and it makes a meal. You take a meal, put it in your mouth, and the world is created. It's a real kind of magic.
I haven't been musical lately. Haven't touched my paint brushes. The carpet I started to hook last year is still unfinished in the garage. But I cook every day. This is the true art. Survival. Not in a feral, scuff through the brush way, but in a moment of luxury amidst the chaos. I do it to keep my family alive, sure, but I must keep them happy, too. It is the greatest art I know, and I continue to grow in it; meal by meal; menu by menu. I have to do it, so I will do it well, and I will do it with a magical mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment