Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Meal Schedule

We created a night by night genre schedule for dinners. Tuesday is Mexican. I love the freedom from thought that this gives me. I don't feel constrained by it, yet, just focused. For tonight, I want to try some of Rick Bayless' recipes. He's so annoying, but an amazing cook.
Right now, I'm baking Martha's banana bread. It's delicious, the main difference from other recipes being the sour cream. What is up with the modern craze for sour cream in everything? I guess it's a great baking acid, and lends that tang, that je ne sais quoi. It healed my pastry crust, which used to be brittle with only butter (I'm not down with lard) and is now more akin to flaky pie flesh.

1 comment:

  1. I've done that Martha recipe a bunch. It's a good one. You can also (if you're feeling holy) substitute yogurt to get a lot of that sour flavor. (Why do I always think I have plenty of sour cream, only to find that I don't? Oh well, the yogurt is actually better for us, I think...)

    ReplyDelete