Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vermouth

When I misguidedly tried to abstain from drink, I had none in the house. Except, that is, for the vermouth.
I have always looked down on vermouth, and seen it as a culinary spirit, not fit for drink. In the league with marsala and sherry, it sat, dusty on the rack, to occasionally freshen a saute, or deglaze.
I pulled it down. It was a good brand, as expensive as the wines I drink. It recommended itself as a "long drink over ice". I poured it half and half with lemon soda water and a twist, over ice. So nice. Clean. Crisp. Refreshing. A wonderful bridge from afternoon to evening.

2 comments:

  1. He's in the cupboard right now, looking for the vermouth.

    It does sound nice, very sophisticated, very French. As he said, inspiring. I've been reading Jacques' cookbooks, too. Quand voulez-vous diner ensemble? I'm sure that's lousy french, but oh well...

    ReplyDelete